Things Mom Wants You To Know

Be a credit to those that came before you, and a blessing for those who come after.

9.25.2009

For God & Country II

Did NO one read my last blog about William Bradford? I'll be sad if you didn't. I think it is important to know what price has been paid for God and Country; so, I'll keep posting items, whether you read them or not.

This next one is from my Dad....the apple didn't fall far from Grandma Jane to me, did it?


"Our Saturday’s housecleaning: We each had a task, suited to size and age, and none escaped. For example, Faye was taller, so she dusted “high” and I dusted “low.” And believe me, mother had each item marked as to which it was. Then I had to scrub on hands and knees each Saturday the dining room...Faye the kitchen. And we could not under any circumstances go out and play until our work was done. Mother often reminds me to this date of how Fred Blakemore would press his nose on the front window imploring me to come out and play...and I couldn’t because I hadn’t finished the job. The worst day ever took me to after 4pm ..for some reason I must have assumed mother would have a touch of mercy in her makeup and let me out, but you can take my word for it. I screamed and stamped till after 4, with Fred on the porch every minute, and no mercy given till the task was completed, and to her satisfaction."

1 comments:

Megan said...

pretty sure i heard something about "being a hard worker" during the priesthood session of conference. i think we grow those apples to be "the meanest moms on the block".